by Lynn Banis PhD -
Are you holding back on doing something you want to do? Do you keep saying to yourself and others "I will do it when ___ happens"? Or, how about, "There will never be a good time to do it"?
If you are talking like this I wonder what is going on?
Presumably it is something you want to do but have you challenged that?
- Do you really want to do it?
- How badly do you want to do it?
- If all of the obstacles you perceive were out of the way would you do it right now?
- Why not?
My guess is that if you really want to do it you would have answered yes to the question above.
If you still had reservations after all the obstacles were cleared away then either you don't want it all that much or something else is getting in the way. Do some personal digging to figure out what that is.
EXPLORATION IS IN ORDER
If you really want to do this thing then exploration is in order.
Write down the answers to the following questions.
- Why do you want to do it?
- What will you get or have once you do it?
- What will the benefits be?
Create a clear vision of what it will be like once you have accomplished this thing.
- Imagine what you will be doing, what you will be saying, what you will be hearing, tasting and smelling.
- Imagine who else will be there and what they will be doing.
- Make that picture in your mind panoramic.
- Be in the picture rather than looking at it.
- Make it colorful and bright.
- How is that for you?
- Is it as real as you can imagine?
- What could you do to make it even better?
Stay in the imagined picture and look back at the path you took to get there.
- What did you do?
- What were the steps you took to get there?
- What did you have to give up along the way to get there?
- How important was that to you?
- What did you bring with you from the past that is now a part of your picture?
- How important is that to you?
- What got in your way?
- How did you overcome those things?
Now step out of the imagined picture and look at what you have written down.
- What are the trends and themes?
- What is already real?
- What has to happen to make the rest real?
- What are the steps you will take to accomplish what you want?
By now you should have cleared the way to make this happen. What are you waiting for?
Lynn Banis PhD, MCC is known as America's High Performance Coach. She specializes in helping women. executives and entrepreneurs make the most of their opportunities and potential. Her years of working with small and large businesses has given her a depth of knowledge that is invaluable to her clients. You can reach her at discoverypointcoaching.com or at her email address listed on the site. Also check out Lynn's other businesses: Coach Academy International, a cutting edge coach training company; and Turnkey Coaching Solutions, a coaching program management and contract coach staffing company. Contact me now to get the support you need to make your dreams come true: firstname.lastname@example.org. I look forward to working with you.